Thursday, March 24, 2011

grandmother’s small, dingy metal recipe box


I don’t know how my mother became a great cook: her father could cook a steak and her mother, Neva, had her new husband, Jack, crawling to get around, he was so poisoned from her cooking on their Honeymoon. I have my grandmother’s small, dingy metal recipe box (tuna casserole, canned soup casserole, tomato aspic, etc). One section I enjoy is the desserts. He loved chocolate cake and so the recipe box is full of chocolate cake recipes and a cookie recipe or two. Last night I searched her box for a dessert recipe and came across Neva’s handwritten 
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sift. 2 1/4 c. flower & 1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (set aside)
Combine - 1 c. butter or
margarine (less fattening)
and cream (I don’t know 
how much cream)...
and due to laughing, the counter is still littered today with chocolate chip bag (unopened) flour bag, and the white sugar (I am out of brown).

No comments:

Post a Comment